Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Untried Polish Challenge Day Two: Two Colors

So I rushed for an easy design to do so that I could make it on time for today's challenge. For today we are supposed to use two colors of polish that have never been used before. I chose to do a glitter gradient using Blues Cruise (Ulta's brand of polish) and Trixie (Zoya). Let's get to it!


Here are the two colors I used (flash)


The nail art. My skin is a tad dry today :(

I have to say that Blue Cruise is not the polish I expected it to be. I was thinking it would be more glitter heavy but it had more of the blue, sheer colored base in relation to the glitter. I used the sponge gradient technique to do this manicure. I used three coats of Trixie, let it dry, painted a streak of Blues Cruise on a plastic sandwich bag, painted a streak of Trixie underneath it, gently swirled a bit where the two polished met with a toothpick, then dipped my sponge into the mixture and applied to my nails. I have to do this about three times per nail to get a decent gradient going. Afterwards I used a layer of Seche for a top coat to try and smooth it out as much as I could. 

I really wish Blue Cruise was more opaque so that the gradient would have looked better. My skin is also very dry today and no matter how hard I try, I still have glitter on my fingers. It's always a beast to clean up. I feel like this kind of looks bad here in the picture, but when I look at it on my hands I do like it. I probably won't use Blues Cruise again for a gradient, but that's why we have this challenge, right?

Also, here are some lovely ladies who are also doing this challenge (in alphabetical order):
Amy at Fancy Side
Blueberry Pie at Blueberry Pie
Jonochi at Just Add Polish
Masha at Lost in Lacquer
Patricia at Polished and Glittered
Raine at Lacquer Lily
Sam at Polished Art


8 comments:

  1. I have one of those Ulta polishes that I haven't used yet either. Mine is the same but has the teal glitter. I might need to bust it out for this challenge.

    I love the gradient with the glitter. Such pretty colors together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I also have a pink one of the Ulta glitters but I can't find it at the moment...I rarely use glitter but I think I'm coming around to the idea!

      Delete
  2. I love the glitter ombre! I think this is one of my favorites of this type.

    I just ordered the Zoya Trixie, now I can't wait to get it. It looks fantastic on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so sweet of you! I can't believe I bought it over a month ago and only just used it. It's a good polish.

      Delete
  3. Ohhh! Gradients are the easiest, quickest mani for when you want something shazam, yet don't want to spend more than 20 minutes.

    Love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They really are the best for when you're in a hurry.

      Delete
  4. Trixie is such a pretty color and you did a great job! Gradient is perfect for a two color mani!

    ReplyDelete